Spinal Cord Stimulation
PAIN MANAGEMENT TREATMENT
SPINAL CORD STIMULATION
The device is surgically placed under your skin and sends a mild electric current to your spinal cord via thin wires. When turned on, the SCS stimulates the nerves at the source of the pain, masking the pain signals from reaching the brain.
Our office will work with you to determine if SCS is an appropriate treatment for your condition. Patients typically selected for SCS have had chronic debilitating pain for more than 3 months in the lower back, leg (sciatica), or arm, and have undergone one or more spinal surgeries. It is generally more effective in the earlier stages of a chronic condition.
Not all patients are candidates for SCS, however the treatment may prove effective in these situations:
◦ Additional surgery would not be beneficial
◦ The pain is caused by a correctable problem and should be fixed
◦ The prospect of surgery is not desired because of the risks or recovery
◦ You do not have untreated depression or drug addiction
◦ No existing medical conditions would keep you from undergoing implantation